Overview of Environment Import Tool
The Environment Import Tool enables users to bulk-create or bulk-edit information in an operator’s environment. This tool can be used for a variety of different imports where a CSV-formatted file can be uploaded into a UI.
The Environment Import framework works because most bulk management CSV file upload solutions share similar components. Engineering will have the ability to create new Target Import Schemas that allow for variety of imports. Once created, additional engineering work may be needed based on the system that needs to be updated (e.g., OpsMan or Client Portal).
Imports Currently in Production
- Bulk Create and Edit Zones
- Bulk Create Users
- Bulk Add Roles (Client Portal only)
- Bulk Create and Edit Zone Partner Integrations
- Bulk Create / Edit Violation Types and Edit Fee Schedules
- Vehicle List and Vehicles in List
Using the Import Tool
Access to the Tool
Users require the following RBAC Privilege:
- Portal > Settings > Environment-import > Import-targets
Engineering will require an additional privilege:
- Portal > Settings > Environment-import > Manage-targets
Selecting Target Schema
- From the Client Portal navigation panel, select Settings > Environment Import
- Select from the What Action Do You Want To Complete? menu
- Note: the Operator will always also be required
- Note: if the Action you select requires additional parameters, an additional drop-down will appear on the screen (see screenshot)
The Operator you select within the Import Tool determines which specific Operator will be updated. The Operator name displayed in the templates is informational only. There are other Import types for Edit where an Operator-specific Zone ID or Violation Type ID determine what record will be updated, regardless of which Operator has been selected.
Once the required selections are made, you are able to:
- Download Template. This selection provides a blank template with column names. (Refer to template guides for required fields.)
- Add a File. This selection allows you to upload a CSV file with data for create or edit.
CSV File Validation
Once you have selected a file to be imported, there will be a CSV File validation. Each Target Schema will have its own unique validation requirements similar to creating or adding records within the system UI. Common CSV requirements include:
- Column headers must appear in a specific order, are case sensitive, and must be exact text. (Select Download Template to obtain the most recent version).
- Rule of thumb: For fields that contain a Yes / No option, either 1 or 0 will always be required in the column, unless specified otherwise.
- Specific fields may be required if other field value has been set to 1 (yes).
- Example: if no address has been provided for a zone, then latitude and longitude values should be provided. In addition, manual_lat_long field should be set to 1.
Any errors will be highlighted in a list that identifies in which row the error occurred.
When using the Import tool, you must use the expected CSV template format per Import Action. This template can be downloaded within the tool by selecting “Download Template” or “Download Partner Template”.
Operator selection is NOT required to download a template since the template will be blank except for column headers.
Import History Tab
Each time a CSV is processed, a record of the action (including metadata such as User, Date, Import Type, Operator, etc.) will be captured and displayed on the Import History tab. This will allow you to preview the status of your Import batch process. Status includes:
- Queued. This status will typically be displayed for very large files only.
- Success. All records were loaded without errors.
- Fail. No records were loaded.
- Partial Fail. Both processed and failed records occurred.
- Needs Review. The import failed to process; not all records were accounted for. Requires engineering review.
Miscellaneous Tips and Best Practices
- Staging vs. Production: When possible, you should run your CSV against the Staging environment before running it against the Production environment. This will allow you to verify any conflicting issues and to catch potential errors.
- The total amount of records imported at once is limited to 200. This limitation prevents CPU usage from exceeding its optimal performance.
- Column headings of your CSV file are case sensitive and must match Target Schema exactly. If unsure of which template you are completing, should select “Download Template” to ensure you have the most recent version.
- There can be a delay with the Actions or Operators to load when first opening up the Import screen. Eventually, the lists will load.
- Monetary field formatting:
- Those listed as Field Name_In Cents should be formatted as 2500. ($25.00)
- Those listed as Field Name_in Dollars will need to be formatted as 25 or if need to add cents then 25.50 to ($25.00, $25.50)
- Select the Search button on the Import History tab to refresh the results.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We apprciate your effort and will try to fix the article